Book Review: God's Smuggler

 




    "God's Smuggler" is a wonderful autobiography about Brother Andrew, a man who risked everything as he willingly and faithfully delivered Bibles to communist countries.

    As a young boy,  Andrew, (more commonly called Andy at that time) lived in a small house with many siblings. They lived in a town in Holland where they, amongst many others, were poor. The war started when Andrew was a young boy. He had always been courageous, so it wasn't a surprise that he decided to join the army. But, as his life in the army proceeded, he grew farther and farther from God. It wasn't until, lying on a hospital bed, he read the Bible and was reformed. As life went on,  Andrew eventually became a missionary to communist countries, or, the "iron curtain."

    A lot of people say that God's Smuggler is a thriller. Parts of the book may indicate thriller, but it is my personal opinion that it is not. While I don't think it is a thriller, I do think it is a very interesting story. There are many parts of the book that made me forget it wasn't fiction, which I liked because I'm not a huge fan of biographies. The book God's Smuggler leads you through a story of Brother Andrew's life, starting from when he's just a boy. It's amazing to see how much Brother Andrew changed throughout his life; most specifically from when he was a teenager to an adult. One of my favorite parts is when Brother Andrew is training to be a missionary. They have him do a test to see if he can depend on God for all his needs. It works! Throughout his life Brother Andrew leans on God more and more. Even the smallest miracles make me sit back and go "wow." There are a few parts that were a little slow, (at least I think) but I would still recommend it.

    According to Sonlight, the recommended age is 12-14, and the grade level is 7-9. While it would be clean as a read-aloud to younger kids, I think that it's best for the recommended age range.

    God's Smuggler is a great biography that I enjoyed and that I would recommend. I think I would give this book four stars.     


-Amelia






    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaken, Not Moved

A Lamb's First Christmas

The Car